How to Make Cannabutter
By Rolling Up
You can create this simple cannabis butter or “cannabutter” in your own home. With some simple tips and the right technique you’ll be able to make a butter that you can use in your cooking. Note: homemade edibles are hard to accurately dose. All DIY cooks should be aware that there’s no way to guarantee potency.
Things You’ll Need
- ½ ounce of cannabis
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of butter
- Hand scissors or grinder
- Mesh strainer
- Sheet pan
- Mixing bowl
When you smoke THC, it’s not the THC that gets you high but it’s the chemical compound that happens when you heat it up with a lighter. The same thing needs to happen when you make cannabutter. “Decarbing” heating up your weed in the oven to release the THC and cannabinoids to activate and release the chemical compounds.
- Preheat oven to 220°F
- Gently break apart weed with scissors or grinder. Make sure it’s not too fine.
- Evenly spread ground up weed on a baking sheet and heat for 20-40 minutes on the center rack. Older weed takes less time than newer weed.
- Check often and make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Once it turns deep brown then you’ll know it’s ready.
- Add one cup of water and one cup of butter to the saucepan on low heat.
- As the butter simmers, add the weed to the saucepan and stir.
- Simmer on low heat from 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally. The mixture should never come to a full boil.
- Before straining let the mixture cool completely.
- Line a mesh strainer with cheesecloth and place on top of the mixing bowl and let it drip slowly. Don’t squeeze the bag. Bad flavor might seep into the butter.
- Transfer into a jar and store in the refrigerator. It will keep in the fridge for several weeks and in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- To test your potency use ½ teaspoon to ¼ teaspoon to see how you feel. Increase or decrease dose as desired. Dose carefully and go slow.
Ways to Use
You can experiment and use it with the meals you already love and for the recipes that call for regular butter you can use this cannabutter. Use it to saute your vegetables and add it when you cook your burgers on the grill or stove. Indulge in a tray of edible brownies with your friends using the butter. You can even drizzle it over popcorn for the perfect Netflix and chill snack. The possibilities are endless when it comes to using your cannabutter.